By Dionisio Randazzo
We’ve named this dessert Bacio, meaning 'kiss' in Italian. The name is perfection, just like the semifreddo itself. Each semifreddo is placed on a dark chocolate soil with Amarena cherries, lit by the promise of a kiss. The filling is whipped milk chocolate, blended with chopped hazelnuts, with a whole hazelnut which adorns the top. They are then coated in bittersweet dark chocolate.
9 egg yolks
250g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean (split and seeds removed. Discard the pod case)
200g dark chocolate, melted
2tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
600ml thickened cream
250g mascarpone cheese
150g roasted hazelnuts, skins removed, coarsley chopped
Amarena cherries (halved, to serve)
1. Whisk yolks, sugar, vanilla seeds and Frangelico in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until mixture has tripled in volume, is thick and pale and holds a ribbon (4-5mins).
2. Transfer semifreddo mixture to an electric mixer and beat until cool (2-3mins).
3. Add melted chocolate and cocoa. Mix well to combine.
4. Meanwhile, whisk cream and mascarpone in a bowl until soft peaks form.
5. Fold one-third of the cream mix into the semifreddo mixture to loosen. Then fold through remaining cream mix and hazelnuts.
6. Spoon into semi-circle silicone moulds, cover, then freeze until firm ( 6hrs - overnight).
7. Remove semifreddo from the moulds, cover with a little extra melted chocolate and top with some hazelnuts and amarena cherries to serve.
8. Store in the freezer until required.